RE: great course

To: Mark.Watson@Schwab.COM, ba-autox@autox.team.net, brmcapri@usa.net
Subject: RE: great course
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:19:14 PDT
>Thanks Ben,
>
>Designing the course was alot easier thanks to the work of Keith
>Hearn, having an accurate layout of the lot at 3Com makes a big
>difference.

>I'm sure a few of you wondered what that strange looking contraption was
>after the right hand sweeper following the slalom - it started out as a
>Chicago Box, but ended up as a "wall" of some sort...that's it...a
>"Watsonville Wall"

What I liked about that section was that I was still turning right coming
down through it - then there was a very fast transition to the left to enter
the following corner.  However, you really needed to find a way to do some
braking there at the same time!  At the afternoon course walk there were
lots of tire marks showing where people came into the left too hot and
early, pushed to the outside, and never got to accelerate hard down the
following bit of straight.  I had to plan during the walkthrough to remember
to bring the wheel on center from right to left and brake briefly and early
before turning in - a very neat element.  I love autocross courses that
penalize you for doing things wrong and reward you for doing things right!

KeS