RE: finding parts

To: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: finding parts
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 12:07:31 -0600
Several years ago, I was employed one summer at an AutoZone, and at
that time, only one or two other counterpeople knew much about cars.
I then got a job as a parts guy in a car dealership, then another,
followed by a couple of body shops.
Then, I happened to be in the store one day buying a case of oil
(about all that place is good for), and saw that they were hiring.
Since I now had several years of automotive experience now, I thought
I'd apply, just to see what would happen.  They didn't even call me
back. Apparently knowing what you're doing is a bad thing at that
store. The people they did hire?  Well, I went in one day to see if
they had plugs for my Audi.  They said "Who makes that?"
And don't even THINK about getting an alternator tested there, you
might as well ask them to do brain surgery.
If I need something unusual, obscure, or just hard to find, I go to
one of the small stores.  They need our support to compete with the
meghachains anyway, so I get what I can there.

Calvin K