RE: finding parts

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: finding parts
From: "Herb Tobin" <herbtobin@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:46:27 -0400
Many years ago I was restoring a Type 57 Bugatti for which I needed a fuel
pump kit. Mr. Bugatti, in a fit of economy had used a plain vanilla American
AC fuel pump on these cars. If you look under the hood, you would find a
beautifully sculptured engine, all polished aluminum castings, with an AC
fuel pump sitting there looking very much out of place.

At my local Sears store (then Sears-Roebuck) they had a display board with
about eight or ten fuel pumps on it. One of the pumps on the board was my
pump. I cannot express my frustration as I tried to get the counter man to
get me a kit to suit their own display. "What kind of car is it for? A what?
We don't carry parts for foreign cars, and I never heard of that one". As I
recall, I never did get my kit, at least not from the store that displayed
my fuel pump on the wall.

Herb Tobin