Re: Spin Physics

To: jim hayes <jeh@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Spin Physics
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:00:50 -0700
jim hayes wrote:
> ... snip  ...
> BTW, what was everybody taught to do when you spin? I found three separate
> methods in the books! I'm of the "stand on it " group. If I lose it, I stand
> on it,  spin it to the inside 180-270 and get lined up for reentering the
> course. Learned at the Roos School and perfected during a rally school in
> the UK.
>
> jeh@fotec.com         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm
> veni, vedi, veloce

I have to side with the right-foot theory myself... up to a point.  My
cars (911s) do not behave like some "others" in that a spin can most
often be avoided by planting the right foot (most of the weight in the
rear, transfer of more weight by acceleration, rear-wheel drive, etc..).
Once the "point of no return" has been passed, I am more than likely
going to try to make it a 360 (or two 180s) in order to minimize the
time lost.  This approach assumes the spin is occuring at a spot where
this method has some possibility for success (like turn 1 at Sebring - I
have the pictures...).  If the spin occurs early in a corner or in the
middle of a set of complex corners, then the approach reverts to the
"both feet in" to stop the car safely and in a predictable manner,
thereby avoiding complicating matters more for any following drivers.

The key word above is "predictable".  This is a term we should stress to
all our ranks and should be practiced religiously (unless it's the last
lap of the CART finale...).  I was taught using the comparison of a
rolling bowling ball to a rolling football.  Which one would you have
more success in catching?  When applied to drivers, which would you have
more success in completing a safe pass on?  Something to think about...

Right foot  (Yeee Haaaa, Myles...)

*8o)