Re: Spin Physics

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spin Physics
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:16:47 -0400
>Does anyone know of a good reference for the physics of trailing
>throttle oversteer? (Not, of course, that any of us has ever experienced
>the phenomenon first hand!) I'm particularly interested in references that
>explain TTO in terms of polar moment of inertia, slip angle, tire sidewall
>flex, etc.

>From what I understand, its major cause is the weight transfer off the
rear wheels as the car engine brakes.  With less weight forcing them
onto the road, the rear tires have less grip, and break loose.  Sidewall
flex, and optimum slip angle IMS, vary by tire based on construction
and compound.  The polar moment influences how much the car will
be influenced by TTO, as I believe a car with a large polar moment
will be easier to induce TTO in than a car with a small polar moment.

Try Fred Puhn's "How to Make Your Car Handle" (ISBN 0-912656-46-8,
HP Books) for a start, someone else might know if the Milliken & Milliken
or Valkenburgh (sp?) books go into further detail.

Dave Williamson  (silikal@aol.com)