Re: Spin Physics

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spin Physics
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:07:43 +0000
Simon (favres@engmail.ulinear.com) says that he:

. . . read a quote attributed to Darryl Waltrip on the subject of
understeer vs. oversteer [who] said, "Well, understeer is when the
front end of the car smacks the wall first, and oversteer is when the
back end of the car smacks the wall first."

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were true, but Mssr. Waltrip
can hardly be the originator - I can remember hearing this back in
the early sixties (it was useful information to me then, as I was
trying to understand why it was impossible to spin a TR4, but really
easy to go off the outside of a turn, nose first).

Jim Hill
Director of TR6 Racing Operations
Gorham Street Irregulars