Re: Spin Physics

To: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Spin Physics
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:43:27 -0400
I've always felt that racing Mini's define oversteer and understeer.  We
tend to use oversteer as a weapon going into a corner, where just lifting
off the throttle induces about 30 deg of oversteer on corner entry.  Then,
when we get on the power, we tend to get massive understeer as we try to get
any power at all thru those tiny tires!.  This tend to baffle and confuse
those who insist on driving real wheel drive cars that actually drive into
corners!

Brian Evans
Vice-President, Mini Transmission Rebuilds,
Director, MG Midget Alternative Racecar Division
President and CEO, Merlyn MK6A Restoration Society
(Donations gratefully received)

>. . . read a quote attributed to Darryl Waltrip on the subject of
>understeer vs. oversteer [who] said, "Well, understeer is when the
>front end of the car smacks the wall first, and oversteer is when the
>back end of the car smacks the wall first."
>>>>>
>I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were true, but Mssr. Waltrip
>can hardly be the originator - I can remember hearing this back in
>the early sixties (it was useful information to me then, as I was
>trying to understand why it was impossible to spin a TR4, but really
>easy to go off the outside of a turn, nose first).
>
>Jim Hill
>Director of TR6 Racing Operations
>Gorham Street Irregulars

Brian Evans