Re: Ignition wire originality question

To: tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Ignition wire originality question
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 00:13:31 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/3/2004 11:50:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

So Andy,  in your opinion, would this cover items from other cars, like using
an MGA  distributor cap ?

=====

Well, I honestly don't know if one cap fits the other distributor. From my
Lucas Catalogue, it appears that the "typical" MGA takes a Lucas 422905 cap and
 a "typical" TR3 takes a 418871 cap. The major difference on the outside
appears  to be that the hold-down clip positions for the MGA cap are 90 degrees
off those  of the TR cap, which means that an MGA cap on a TR distributor would
orient the  wires differently.

Again, assuming that either cap functions on either distributor, how many
people ... or judges ... would know or care? If it walks like a Lucas  and
talks
like a Lucas.... ;-)

A friend of mine with an MGA 1500 was "in a pinch" a few years back.  His car
was for sale...and the original distributor seized. Guess what? A Herald
1200 distributor fit perfectly and actually made the car perform at least as
well as the original MGA distributor had before it broke. I wonder if the buyer

ever noticed?

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member  Services
and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage  Triumph Register