Re: Losing wire wheel

Subject: Re: Losing wire wheel
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:37:15 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Don Marshall wrote:

> I had this same question before and someone, who for liability purposes
> will remain nameless, pointed out that if you mount the steel wheel on the
> shortened studs and use the same lug nuts that held the adapter on, you
> have "full penetration" through the lug nut.  His point was that if it's
> good enough to hold the adapter on (which holds the wire wheel on), why
> shouldn't it be enough to hold the steel wheel as well.

The answer to this reasonable question is that the adapter nuts have a
smaller area in contact with the wheel.  The factory steel wheels are
much thinner than the adapters and are somewhat marginal to being with.
With the added load of high speed cornering on modern, sticky tires, and
the force being spread over a much smaller area, the small nuts can pull
right through the wheel.  Definitely not a recommended configuration.

However, it might do to get you home.  After all, we're talking about
after you've unexpectedly lost a wheel, right ?  Losing another one
should be no big deal ... <g>

Randall