Re: Losing wire wheel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Losing wire wheel
From: "Mark Sinclair" <sinclair@degenkolb.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:56:20 -0800

Happened to me as well. Same thing, right wheel while braking.  Car came to
sudden stop on front disk, wheel took off across California Street and bounced
off a cable car much to the surprise and amusement of the gaggle of tourists on
board. Turned out that the splines had ALREADY stripped and the PO had CEMENTED
the bluddy thing back on (no wonder I could never get it off).
Jacked up the car, took off the bolt-on splined adaptor, put on a regular wheel
and was off in 5 mins.  Should probably replace that disc as part of current
rebuild.

Lucky I wasn't killed in a freeway accident - also luckily that someone wasn't
hurt by a wire wheel moving rapidly toward downtown San Francisco.

Check those splines carefully folks.
Also, don't mix old wheels and new splines or vice versa - false economy.
If you have bolt on splined adaptors carry a regular disk wheel spare (fits in
the boot better anyway).

Cheers
Mark

> Bad splines don't cause wheels to fall off.  Loose hub/rotor nuts and/or
leftside
> on rightside/rightside on leftside splined hubs.

The above is a dangerous misstatement that could prove injurous to other
parties.

I'll say it ONE MORE TIME for clarity, folks.

WORN SPLINES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE MAY IN FACT, WITH GREAT
PROBABILITY, CAUSE THE KNOCKOFFS TO UNSCREW AND THE ENTIRE WHEEL TO FALL OFF
WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKES.  Hub nuts have nothing to do with this occurance.
They could be WELDED on and the wheel would still fall off.

This is NOT a point that can be debated or argued.  At least not with me,
because it HAPPENED to me.  It is a FACT backed by the laws of physics,
pressure and motion -- and unfortunately, personal experience.

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Didn't learn my lesson the first time -- fitting wire wheels once again --
tonight.