Re: Losing wire wheel

To: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Losing wire wheel
From: Don Marshall <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:59:13 -0500
At 06:02 PM 1/31/00 EST, Joe Flake wrote:

>You have to cut down the studs to fit the wire adapters.  I thought
>the remaining stud was too short to use regular wheels.  Can you
>safely use original wheels on the shortened studs?

I had this same question before and someone, who for liability purposes
will remain nameless, pointed out that if you mount the steel wheel on the
shortened studs and use the same lug nuts that held the adapter on, you
have "full penetration" through the lug nut.  His point was that if it's
good enough to hold the adapter on (which holds the wire wheel on), why
shouldn't it be enough to hold the steel wheel as well.   Naturally, I
would never do this myself and would certainly discourage anyone else from
doing it... I'm just repeating what someone might have told me.  Or not..

YMMV...
Don Marshall