RE: State of the Triumphs List

To: "'Henry Frye'" <thefryes@iconn.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: State of the Triumphs List
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:49:00 -0700
Cc: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Gee, Henry.  Someone else must have posted this in your name <g>

                Date: 27-Mar-1996 15:11:53
                Subject: Cars owned thread-My stable

                This thread got me thinking...

                '65 Ford Falcon Station Wagon- $50, then $200 for junkyard
motor #1, $200 for
                Junkyard #2, sold for $100; drove it 18 months.

                '69 BMW 2002- $550, The motor knocked when I bought it, and
when I sold it
                for $500, but even under 3000 rpm's, that was a fast car; drove
it 6 months.

                '66 VW Bug w/ sunroof- $30 (no kidding!) Sold it twice, for
$250 each time!
                Drove it 6 months

                '74 Plymouth Satellite- My first car that always started when
you turn the
                key.  Drove it 3 years

                '78 Peugeot 604- $5000, Bought it w/ 41,000, sold it w/ 175,000
for $500.
                Ran like a champ, I worked on it most every weekend.  Never
left me anywhere.
                The wife made me sell it because she thought I loved that car
more than her.
                Drove it 8 years.  I figured if I can keep a gas powered
Peugeot running, I
                could do anything...

                '80 Olds Cutlass Diesel- $600, had aspirations of dropping in a
big block V8,
                never got around to it.  Sold it for $800, it ran pretty good,
all things
                considered.

                '66 Pontiac Star Chief Executive- $1500, 56,000 original miles.
 Luckily, the
                wife likes the Chief, so it is still in the driveway.

                '85 Dodge Ramcharger- $2800, Bought it w/99,000, as of today it
has 175,000
                on original drivetrain, no rebuilds.  It towed the TR250 home!

                '68 TR250- $1200.  The Triumph has become the victim of my
shipwrights
                disease.  I doubt it will see the road this year  :-(

                '88 Beretta- $4000, The wife has to drive something.

                '73 Jeep J2000 Pick Up, with snowplow- $900 If I have to use
this one one
                more time this year, I am going to scream.

                The thing is, I have never bought a new car, most probably
never will.  I
                don't care how prosperous we might be. I am too cheap (don't
read this, Nick)
                to loose the depreciation.  I feel confident with my abilities
to get every
                last bit of life out of a piece of equipment.

                It must be in our blood.  I believe this is a common
idiosyncrasy of members
                of this list.

                I am sure people have a better list than mine.

                Any takers?

                Henry Frye

                Current Stable

                '68 TR250
                '66 Pontiac Star Cheif Executive
                '73 Jeep Plowvehicle
                '85 Dodge Ramcharger
                '88 Chevy Beretta

On Wednesday, August 18, 1999 4:03 PM, Henry Frye [SMTP:thefryes@iconn.net]
wrote:

> I have never made a non-Triumph post to this list is the 4 1/2 years I've
> been subscribed. This is the first one.
<snip>