State of the Triumphs List

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: State of the Triumphs List
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:02:32 -0400
Cc: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
I've been resisting this for quite some time now, but I can't take it any
more.

I have never made a non-Triumph post to this list is the 4 1/2 years I've
been subscribed. This is the first one.

I used to contribute often, as this list was an invaluable resource in my
Triumph education. However, I now find that the annoyance of the list
activity far outweighs than any benefit I'm receiving.

This list was created to be a forum of discussion about Triumph cars.
Repairing, maintaining, parts sources, car shows, etc. An occasional LBC
related joke, but that was it.

In years past the list had extremely knowledgable contributors who knew
their stuff. A thread was started, all responses were public, and many good
thread. Everybody learned from one person's experience.

As the 'signal to noise ratio' grew, many excellent contributors got fed up
with the crap, and left the list. Well, that's what I'm seriously
considering doing.

The only way I've been able to take the day to day onslaught of crap is by
using an email program with powerful filtering functions. I've got all you
'no added value' listers going right into my trash can. You know who you
are, those people who can't resist commenting on EVERY thread, whether or
not you have any direct knowledge of the subject. Listen guys, if you post
to the list more than once or twice a week, please cool it. If you are not
adding your insight on a Triumph related matter, don't click the send
button. Nobody wants to read your smart little wisecrack.

The list has grown into a big chat room. It will be to everyone's benefit
if the knowledgable contributors don't unsubscribe.

The growth of the Internet has been exponential. More and more Triumph
enthusiasts are finding this list. That's great. But, will all you people
please take a lesson in netiquette, and keep on the topic??? Trust me, most
people could care less that your ex-girlfriend's father had an MG way back
in the days of afros and bell bottoms.

To all those who feel the need to flame me, go ahead. You are most probably
being filtered into my trash already. To those of you who want things the
way they used to be, maybe we can convince Mark to split the list again -
Triumphs and Triumphs-Enthusiast-Chat-Room.

Henry 'We don't need no stinkin' nomex' Frye
thefryes@iconn.net