RE: TR4 Wire Wheel Conversion

To: "'Brian Sanborn'" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Wire Wheel Conversion
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:37:30 -0700
On Friday, August 06, 1999 5:08 PM, Brian Sanborn
[SMTP:sanborn@net1plus.com] wrote:

> Do I have to cut the studs.  Any tips on how to do it?

Yes (unless you use a spacer). Hacksaw, cut-off disc in die grinder, etc.
 The stock studs are pretty soft, they cut easily.

> How much needs to be cut?

Mount splines (be sure to use special nuts), cut flush with end of nuts.

> Would it be better or easier to replace the studs?

IMO, no.  Factory recommended cutting, and those studs are tough to change

> Or does the spacer plate idea work better... any downsides?

Don't know.  The spacer plate has to increase the bending force on the
studs, and I once had a stud break with wire wheels, so I probably wouldn't
try it.  YMMV
(Hope that Nomex gets here before everyone reads this <g>)

> When balancing can I use regular rim mounted weights or should I find
>    someone who has the stick on kind they use on alloy wheels?

Rim mounted worked OK for me.

> How tight do the hub nuts need to be?

Normal 'lug nut' torque, which I believe is 70-80 ftlb.

> How tight should the knockoffs be?

Not very.  Hand tight seemed to work OK, but I usually gave them a lick
with the brass hammer.

> Does the hub get buttered the silvery grease (can't remember name)

Better use something !  When I ran wires (and the world was young <g>) I
used wheel bearing grease, which was OK but needed to be replaced
periodically (every few years).  Today, I would probably go for either
CV-joint grease or anti-seize compound.  Whatever you use, you probably
still want to take the wheels off every few years, to clean, inspect and
re-apply.  Stuck wire wheels have got to be one of the worst things that
can happen to a LBC.
Shop in Lafayette, IN (near Purdue) had a Jag wire wheel hanging on the
wall.  Seems they had to take it off with a torch (which pretty much ruined
the hub and wheel).

>    I have seen copper colored stuff used as well?

That would be anti-seize compound.  It comes in both silvery and
copper-colored varieties.  I use the copper based stuff and love it, but
the nickel based stuff is supposed to resist higher heat.

> Thanks folks.....  All advice will be appreciated

"It's worth every cent it costs ... and you know it's free ..." - CSN
"Anything At All"

Randall
59 TR3A "daily driver wanna be - without wire wheels"