Re: Battery peculiarities question

To: "ryoung@navcomtech.com" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Battery peculiarities question
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 15:31:20 +0100
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall

Thanks for replying

The reason I thought of using the bulb was because my father worked down
a coal mine in the 1920's - He always told me that they used lead acid
batteries and left the lights which were powered by them on even in the
daylight in order to discharge the batteries and therfore give them
longer life.   As I said, I have not tried the bulb idea, and of course
battery technology may have changed in the last 70 years !  My part of
the idea was that when you start the car then the battery is discharged
somewhat, only to be re charged by the dynamo.  We know that this works
as it is a non used (and non charged) battery that is giving us all
trouble.
Anyway - my 'charge it a little bit once a day' system worked last year
(the battery was virtually new)  so I'm going to do as you suggest and
just charge it via a timer.  What I did do (but didn't say) was to stop
the charger from working once per month for about a week, which would
give everything a rest.   I didn't want to overcharge the battery of
course !!

Cheers

Brian