Re: Battery peculiarities question

Subject: Re: Battery peculiarities question
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 01:08:26 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John :

IMO, it's impossible to generalize about battery brands.  By the time
you've owned one long enough to judge good/bad, the mfr has changed
something.  I believe a recent discussion concluded that there may
actually be only two or three different mfrs for all batteries sold in
the US, and only one makes them here.

Keeping them charged, without overcharging, is the best way to preserve
them.  I suggest disconnecting a cable when the car is stored, and then
periodically (like every couple months) charging the battery.  A
continuous trickle charger is probably not a good idea, unless it is
smart enough to let the battery voltage float.

BTW, 'sulfated' batteries can sometimes be rejuvenated by charging them
at high voltage, low current.  Two chargers in series with a small 12v
indicator lamp (to serve as a current limit) will work.  Leave them
connected until the lamp comes on bright, then switch to the normal
setup and charge for longer than usual.  I've used as high as 50 volts
(the limit of my bench supply) with a suitable resistor.  Of course, the
battery has to be disconnected from the car <g>

Randall