Re: stanchion plates

To: Bush4brits@aol.com
Subject: Re: stanchion plates
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 07:42:54 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/26/99 10:37:09 PM EST, Bush4brits@aol.com writes:

<< Nope, I don't have 3 tapped holes OR the oblong recesses in the scuttle. I
 just have 2 tapped holes that line up with my stanchion holes.
 My stanchions DO have the slot on the inside AND these plates fit
 perfectly....except for the wire. Maybe I have the wrong stanchions....made
 for a pre 60000 car.
 What do you think about the fix, though? These plates will work if I grind
the
 pins and wire from the scuttle side.....only thing is, I still don't know
what
 the correct plates look like.
 Bob >>
FWIW I checked the stanchion on my 3B (you can't get much later than this) and
they did not have the slot cutout in the base, nor the bracket normally
attached to the body on the older cars. It would seem there were 2 types of
stanchions.
I think it would be possible to fit the older stanchions/plate to the newer
body with the long bolts. You would have to cut the dzus springs and "glue"
the plate somehow to the stanchion, to keep it from moving around.
Fitting a bolt on stanchion to an old style body would be more difficult as
the plates were attached with three screws - different threads and locations -
and access from the other side is not good.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4