Re: TR4 broken clutch tapered pin

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 broken clutch tapered pin
From: Rainer Wallnig <Wallnig@fh-niederrhein.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:20:18 +0100
At 09:02 17.02.99 +0100, you wrote:

>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>
>     Hello Triumph Fans,
>
>     While changing the clutch in my 1963 TR4, I've found that the tapered
>     pin, which holds the clutch release arm onto the spindle, has broken
>     in half. I see that Moss recommend changing this to a hardened type of
>     pin, so I've ordered a new one. Unfortunately, half the pin is still
>     stuck in the hole! Access is very difficult, and even after several
>     days of WD40 and gentle knocking, it just won't budge.
>
>     Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it out? The best idea I have
>     so far is to drill a small hold in the arm on the other side, and try
>     to tap it out with a bluntened nail.
>
>     Gerard Winn
>     1963 TR4

Hello Gerard,

your method will be the best. But do not install the hardened pin. It will
break again and the whole trouble starts from the beginnig. I have
exercised it all! The best method is to weld the arm to the spindle. If you
will ever have to remove it, you must cut it off and weld it back.
Not very elegant but it works!

Good luck, Rainer Wallnig, TR4 63