Re: The Spitfire Shims Are Here

To: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: The Spitfire Shims Are Here
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:41:31 -0800
Cc: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:

> At 12:55 PM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >BTW, I added about 1/4" a shimming to get mine to zero. The toe-in changed
> >dramatically (e.g. 10 degrees???).
> >
> Hi Vic,
>
> Some positive camber is called for in the alignment specs.   Any
> repercussions from setting the camber to zero?
>
> Anyone else with different alignment specs for a STREET Spitfire care to
> add their 2 cents?
>
> Atwell (Buff) Haines
> '79 Spitfire FM 96062
>
> Succasunna, NJ USA
> CarBuff@scooter.net

Where do I deposit my 2 cents?

According to the print-out that I got from the place That aligned my
front end, the specs are:

Each front wheel:
Minimum       Nominal      Maximum
2 degrees     3 degrees    4 degrees     (camber)
3 degrees     4 degrees    5 degrees     (caster)
.14 degree    .21 degree   .28 degree    (toe-in)

Front END
Minimum       Nominal      Maximum
------        0 degrees    -------     (cross camber)
------        0 degrees    -------     (cross caster)
.28 degree    .42 degree   .55 degree  (total toe)

BTW that listing was for the Spit 71-80 but I think ity also applies to
the early ones too.  At least I hope so cause y'all know I gotta '63
with no doors.

Joe Curry