Re: Jumping speedo needle

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jumping speedo needle
From: Herb Hargraves <hargrave@somtel.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:53:45 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 06:59 PM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Any ideas on what I should check to correct the bouncing of the speedo needle
>on my 79 Spit? The other problem  with the speedo is that I have to tap the
>speedometer to get the needle to begin registering the rpm. TIA
>Thanks to those people that responded to my questions about doing away with
>the monza system (exh) . I installed the falcone stainless system from TRF. I
>did have to shorten the back pipe to get the muffler to line up with its
>mounts. The sound is different- more subdued but very enjoyable.IMHO
>
>Hans Mentzen
>79 Spit   FM92061

Hans,
     You may have to disassemble the speedo and lubricate all the gears in
it. I have a 77 spit and it was really sluggish. I thiught the cable was bad
but after a short time the cable broke. I bought another one and it worked
the same as before. I took the speedo apart and cleaned it up and lubricated
it and it has worked great ever since.

Herb Hargraves
Canaan ME
77 Spitefire FM60141U