Re: V-8's

To: SpcltsPlus@aol.com
Subject: Re: V-8's
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:43:34 -0500
Cc: dennisr@premier1.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>>>>> "SpcltsPlus" == SpcltsPlus  <SpcltsPlus@aol.com> writes:

    SpcltsPlus> dennisr@premier1.net (Dennis Reese)

    SpcltsPlus>  I know it borders on heresy, but I've been
    SpcltsPlus> reading with great interest the thread
    SpcltsPlus> relating to stuffing a V-8 in a Spit. Why?
    SpcltsPlus> Well, I've just about convinced myself that
    SpcltsPlus> this winter would be a great time to do that
    SpcltsPlus> very thing to my TR-4. I'm thinking about a
    SpcltsPlus> small-block chevy. Are there any other
    SpcltsPlus> heretics out there who might have done such a
    SpcltsPlus> thing? If so, what can you offer in terms of
    SpcltsPlus> transmission/rear-end, other problems, etc.

    SpcltsPlus>  Or, maybe the appropriate advice is simply,
    SpcltsPlus> "forget it you idiot, you would be ruining a
    SpcltsPlus> great LBC!!"

    SpcltsPlus> However if you have a restorable TR, I would
    SpcltsPlus> have to suggest restoring it.  I dont now
    SpcltsPlus> about you but I dont think I could start
    SpcltsPlus> cutting up something that has lasted this
    SpcltsPlus> long.  The only way I could cut up a TR,would
    SpcltsPlus> be if I was fixing the damage that someone had
    SpcltsPlus> already done to the car by trying to do the
    SpcltsPlus> installation (saving it from a certian death).
    SpcltsPlus> Which was the case with the TR 6, I believe.

There's a local (Milwaukee) on the list who is in the process
of trying to undo the beginnings of just such a swap (V-8 into
TR-4).  Maybe you can swap projects.  I can say this much,
based on what I saw in that engine compartment, I wouldn't
want to play with that swap.  I'm currently working on a
period "hot-rodding" of my TR-4 with the bolt-on Judson
supercharger that was first marketed for the TR-3's.  It's
much less cutting (read none if I do it right) and is much
more correct in feel IMHO.  Based on my preliminary benchtop
evaluation of the engine, it should make in the 150 HP range
with little to no loss of streetability, and only a small
amount of fiddling with the nature of the car (cable throttle
linkage and a remote air cleaner/fresh air duct.  And an oil
cooler, but those are common enough in TR's of that vintage
anyway).
                                                        -MM