Re: V-8's

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: V-8's
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:25:06 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm Walker wrote:

>the
> >
> > Why is it when one of us decides to put a American V8 in an LBC, we're
> > considered butchers. Carroll Shelby did it to the AC and the Alpine, and
> > he's a God! Go figure.
>
> Neither the Cobra nor the Tiger can handle corners all that well, however.
> There's a nice long straight stretch of highway near where I live.  One
> day a Tiger owner decided to "see what she'll do".
>
> He ain't around any more.
>
> -Malcolm

This talk of Tigers brings to mind a recollection of when I was in
college and working at an imported car shop.

A doctor (really it was a doctor, I'm not kidding) we knew drive into
the parking lot in a shiny red Tiger.  He jumped out and
enthusiastically declared, "Put in a roll bar and a racing harness, I'm
going Racing!!!!"

That was easy, the stuff was readily available in 1968.  THe next week
he trailered the car to Green Valley Raceway (Dallas area) and went to
SCCA driver school.  First lap he took it off the bridge in turn 7.

The mext day the car was parked in our lot and we did not hear from him
until Thursday that week.  Here he came driving up in a shiny new BRG
Alpine.  He jumped out and declared, "Put all that Tiger Stuff in the
Alpine, I'm going Racing!"

Needless to say, it took over 8 months before sufficient Tiger parts
could be accumulated to make the Alpine into a Tiger.  The rest so to
speak is history.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit