Re: GT6 Rear suspension

To: "Dave Fain" <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Rear suspension
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:25:07 +1000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Dave,

> 1. How can I tell by looking at them if the rotoflex
> joints need to be replaced since I gather that replacing
> them on the car is a major pain?

The rubber breaks away from the metal inserts, it also just plain perishes.
If they have been sitting around for any length of time then it is likely
that it will be better to replace them before you put them in.

> 2. Can they be replaced on the car without pulling the outer
> part of the suspension, thereby fouling up the alignment?

No. Simple answer. You have to dimantle the outer hub, remove the dust
"disk" from the axle, and then remove the Rotoflex. I would think that you
could do this without effecting the alignment unless you change bushes etc
at the same time (anybody want to correct- if so I'll have to go and get
mine re-aligned as I've had it apart since I last got the back done)

> 3. There was some mention of welding in reinforcements on the
> body tub.  I think that was referring to the wheel well shock
> mountings, so if I buy the brackets that attach to the original
> shock mounting, will that eliminate any problems with the body?
> I am not anxious to rip the carpet off the wheel wells.

That will solve the problem, I believe that the tub develops stress cracks
around the shock mount plates as well.

> 4. I know the radius arm attachments have to be moved inward.
> How big a deal is this?  Just drill holes and put a plate on
> the inside to reinforce it?

Just duplicate what you have no a little further in (find a late spitfire
for the parts and the holes are there already for measurement).

> 5. The deal included a Spitfire 1500 front sway bar that is
> noticeably heavier than the original one.  Is this a direct
> replacement for the other one?

Beleive so (haven't done this to the + yet)

Good luck (someone down here reckons he did this to his '67 GT6 in one week
end)

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (restoration)