Re[2]: GT6 Rear suspension

To: bschwartz@encad.com (Return requested), KC3565L@sprintmail.com (Return requested)
Subject: Re[2]: GT6 Rear suspension
From: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Date: 03 Apr 1997 08:49:50 -0500
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; 0251C3343B57E2B1-MTAdot1]
X400-originator: Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov
X400-received: by mta MTAdot1 in /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 03 Apr 1997 08:49:50 -0500
X400-received: by /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 03 Apr 1997 08:49:50 -0500
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0251C3343B57E2B1*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=gov+dot/o=faa/s=Mchugh/g=Peter/@MHS>

     I'm not qualified to answer all elements of your question, but can
     share my experience in two areas.

     The upper shock mounts on the Mark II/III rotoflex GT-6s frequently
     rust...the upper mount is actually composed of a wedge shaped, 18
     gauge, steel box which is welded to the inner fender well.

     The fender well is basicly a Spitfire inner fender, but with a
     hexagonal 20 gauge steel plate spot welded between the upper mount and
     the inner fender for rigidity.

     All three of my GT-6s had some rust in or around the upper shock
     mount.  On the worst case the rust seemed to originate from inside the
     mount box...and had damaged the upper shock mounting bolt sleeve
     sufficiently that it seemed to need replacement.

     After much pondering (on the creeper, beer in hand) I took the bold
     approach and cut the entire assembly, mount, support plate, and inner
     fender out of the fender well.  This was a pain...but in retrospect,
     revealed rust working between the three layers of the rear fenders.

     I cut inner fender patches from an old Spitfire and welded them in
     place with my handy like MIG welder. (I wish it had been as easy to do
     as it is to tell you about).  My intent was to get new upper mounts
     and weld them in place.

     Vicky Brit is the only place I could find that lists the mounts...but
     when I ordered them (Part 11-286 @ $44.95) found them to be "out of
     stock".  After a year I began to look for other options.

     Triumphtune in the UK has a neat upper shock mount mod, a bracket
     which mounts to the top of the rear frame towers and replaces the
     upper mounts completely.   You have to buy new, shorter shocks, but
     the mod has several good advantages.  a)  The shock is no longer
     mounted to the tub of the car (reduces flex and noise); b)  The
     constant working of the shock isn't expressed on the welds in the
     inner fender (which, considering the quality of my welding, is a real
     plus).  I don't have the part numbers handy...but perhaps some other
     lister could provide them for you.

     You need to remove the carpets and padding...if for no other reason
     than to check for rust...but surely if you decide to do any welding.

     Triumptune also has a negative camber rear spring and faster rate
     front springs...all of which make a nice package to up grade your
     suspension.

     The front sway bar I chose is a 1 inch bar...the original GT-6 bar is
     smaller than 5/8th inch...I think that the Spit 1500 bar is a 5/8th
     inch bar...and is an improvement over the stock GT-6 equipment.

     The radius arm brackets move inward about two inches...all the floor
     pans I've seen have a recess pressed in them to clear both the inner
     and outer positioning of these brackets, so if you don't have access
     to a rotoflex GT-6 for measurements you should be able to get close
     enough by using the inner recesses as center points.  Seems to me
     you'll have to find new brackets since the angle to the suspension
     will be different in the new position.  Also, my Mark II/III cars have
     a robust support bracket (heelboard) welded to the inner face of the
     tub cross member at the point where the brackets bolt in place (Vicky
     Brit Part 11-673) so you'll need to do more than just drill the holes
     for the bracket bolts.

     What you contemplate is doable, and will improve your handling...but
     considering the strain on the rear suspension you'll want to do the
     job right.

     Cheers!

     PMcQ

     73 TR-6