Re: GT6 Rear suspension

To: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Subject: Re: GT6 Rear suspension
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:05:49 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Mchugh wrote:

>      Triumphtune in the UK has a neat upper shock mount mod, a bracket
>      which mounts to the top of the rear frame towers and replaces the
>      upper mounts completely.   You have to buy new, shorter shocks, but
>      the mod has several good advantages.  a)  The shock is no longer
>      mounted to the tub of the car (reduces flex and noise); b)  The
>      constant working of the shock isn't expressed on the welds in the
>      inner fender (which, considering the quality of my welding, is a real
>      plus).  I don't have the part numbers handy...but perhaps some other
>      lister could provide them for you.
>
>      You need to remove the carpets and padding...if for no other reason
>      than to check for rust...but surely if you decide to do any welding.
>
>      Triumptune also has a negative camber rear spring and faster rate
>      front springs...all of which make a nice package to up grade your
>      suspension.
>
>      The front sway bar I chose is a 1 inch bar...the original GT-6 bar is
>      smaller than 5/8th inch...I think that the Spit 1500 bar is a 5/8th
>      inch bar...and is an improvement over the stock GT-6 equipment.
>
>      The radius arm brackets move inward about two inches...all the floor
>      pans I've seen have a recess pressed in them to clear both the inner
>      and outer positioning of these brackets, so if you don't have access
>      to a rotoflex GT-6 for measurements you should be able to get close
>      enough by using the inner recesses as center points.  Seems to me
>      you'll have to find new brackets since the angle to the suspension
>      will be different in the new position.  Also, my Mark II/III cars have
>      a robust support bracket (heelboard) welded to the inner face of the
>      tub cross member at the point where the brackets bolt in place (Vicky
>      Brit Part 11-673) so you'll need to do more than just drill the holes
>      for the bracket bolts.
>
>      What you contemplate is doable, and will improve your handling...but
>      considering the strain on the rear suspension you'll want to do the
>      job right.

Peter, thanks for the input.  I had pretty much decided to
get the shock brackets that bolt onto the crossmember from
Triumphtune.  A guy in my club has a recent catalog.  I
hadn't considered that I might need shorter shocks. I will
deal with that later.  I am going to order new rotoflex
joints from my favorite mail order parts place, they aren't
all that expensive and I don't want to take a chance on one
failing.

Andy Mace suggested drilling out the spot welds on the
reinforcing plates for the radius arm brackets and moving
them over.  I already have the brackets with the sharper
angle.  I have heard mixed opinions on the heavier sway
bar so I may save that for later.  I have access to a
rotoflex car so I can take measurements.  My car is an
early '67 so it won't have but one set of recesses.

My car spent most of its life in the desert and I painted
the floors with asphalt paint (eeek, not that thread again!)
so rust isn't a big problem.
Dave