Re: Soggy Trousers

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: Re: Soggy Trousers
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:39:22 -0400
I just successfully re-installed the rear window
of my hardtop, which seems to be very similar in construction
to the windscreen.

Some tips:

0: Review your workshop manual!

1: Put sealant on the outer edge of the rubber, where it contacts the inside
of the frame.  Do NOT put it on the frame, since it will get all
over the inner lip of the rubber as you install it.

2:  If the string technique stops working on some part of the seal,
have a putty knife handy to help it along.

2b: To remove the screen, start by flexing the inner lip of the rubber
to break it free from any glue, etc.  Then start pushing outwards,
starting in the upper corners, until it appears that the rubber has
broken free from the sealant holding it to the frame.  Then
keep working it out.   If you are not planning to reuse the rubber,
you can cut away the inner lip, but you may run the risk of accidentally
slashing up some of the trim around the inside of the windscreen.

3: Have a helper during removal and insertion.

4: Do NOT use glue, or you may never get the windscreen out again!
The original sealant is a tar-like stuff.  I couldn't find
any in the parts place, so I used black Permatex silicone sealant.
Hopefully it will not stick so hard that the window can never be removed again.

5: Clean the edges of the glass well while it is out.

6:  Maybe if the windshield is pitted and hazy, it would be
a good time to take it to a glass shop to see if they could polish it.

Doug Braun