Re: some observations

To: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>, v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: some observations
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:16:21 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Two other options:

1) Look at the Weber (European Weber) DGV downdraught kits that Red-line sells. I'm talking about the style that many of us used on the 4-bangers in out LBCs. The type that can be found in the VickyBrit and Moss catalogs, not the kind found in Ferraris. Notice I said type, not exact model. Red-line sells a model w/ twin 38mm bbls, larger than the MGB model (32/36). This type seems to be used by alot of Jeep folks, which tells me that it can produce some good torque, though it might be a bit starved at full throttle on a stroked 215. Anyhow, it has three choke options: manual/water/electric, so pick your poison.

2) Are you using a carb w/vacuum secondaries? You may want to look at one w/ mechanical secondaries. Focus on good idle w/the primaries and twiddle with how/when the secondaries open. Along those lines, I think some of the 4-bbls allow you to adjust the size of the barrels and venturis. Perhaps you could down-size the primaries on a big 4-bbl for better partial-throttle response.

2a) Find one of the rare Offenhauser intake manifolds that takes two 2-bbl carbs

2b) Look at a Predator carb. These are the funny-looking box carbs. They are a constant-vacuum type carb, like our beloved S.U.'s Dave Vizard raves about them (and he KNOWS carbs). They are largely insensitive to pressure and temp. differences, and require minimal tuning. According to Vizard, they meter fuel far more accurately than common 4-bbl carbs, and the only tuning is choosing one of 3 fuel cams, though blank cams can be ordered if the engine is extremely small or large. He notes that they work best with dual-plane manifolds, due to their spray pattern, at high-rpms. My ONLY concern would be that they look to be a bit taller than a conventional 4-bbl, but I don't know for sure. There are many advantages to a constant-vacuum carb. I think they sell in the $300-$400 range. Summit and Jeggs cary them.

Later.
James J.

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.