Re: some observations

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: some observations
From: Keith Grider <k.grider@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:14:59 -0500
Cc: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>, v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All speed shop guys 'divulge' that an AFB is inferior to a Holley. That has not been my experience. An AFB does have to be properly tuned, though, because it has more flexibility than a Holley. Tuning a Holley is easier because there is less to tune. Holleys, as delivered, have a power valve which results in more of a switch type of operation. The Carter has better cruise and off idle performance for driving around town. In a 1/4 mile setting, I'd probably go for a Holley, but for a driver, I opt for a carter. There is a kit that used to be available which adapted a weber metering assembly on a Holley. I know nothing other than it used to be available. A Ford buddy swears that it is much better off idle than a standard Holley, but I do not know.

Fuel injection is always, better, though ;-)

Keith

T. S. White wrote:
I thought I would toss in my experience on the carb and HTOB. I have a
289 in my TR3A. At the suggestion of a friend and a dyno tuner I
installed an Edlebroch AFB 600 CFM. I then had the engine dynotuned. The result was entirely disappointing. The carbs only redeeming quality
was that it idled well. At a car show I spoke to a speed shop guy that
divuldged that the AFB has a generic fuel curve that doesn't fit any
engine well. I have since switched to a Holley Street Avenger with much
better performance characteristics.

I called Howe before installing my HTOB. The technitian there actually
recommended setting it up with a little slack.