Re: Alternator wiring revisited

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator wiring revisited
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:13:19 -0700
Adam, you wrote:
> All was well for a few minutes until I turned everything on and then
> saw a spark from the 30 amp fuse.

Yup, to be expected :-)
Your new alternator can pump out lots more than 30 amps, and if the
demand is there it WILL. You placed a 30 amp fuse in the circuit which
promptly self-destructed.

You need a fusible link (which is really just undersized wire) of the proper
capacity to match the potential output of the new alternator. And the
wire should run straight to the battery, NOT thru any of the existing
wiring harness! Your ammeter will be wrong (will ALWAYS show a
discharge) but your wiring will be safe.

Oh oh oh... To be safe you DO want a 30 amp fuse between the main
power takeoff (which is from the starter solenoid) and the harness. I've
got one up near the clutch cylinder. And you connect in your new
accessories (stereo, fan, driving lights) from the bettery, NOT thru
the existing wiring harness. You need to be sure you do NOT try to
pull more than 30 A thru the existing wiring!

-- John