Re[8]: Carroll Smith's Books

To: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re[8]: Carroll Smith's Books
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Thu, 28 May 98 13:37:49 PST

>Ok, but i see no reason to revert to stock bushings. We did not buy the
>car to cruise arond, but to really drive it :)

No, I'm not suggesting you revert to stock bushings but just offering an
explanation for any harshness you may experience.

>We got 6" front and 7" rear.

Wider wheels in the rear (if you are committed to f & r being different) will
require compensating anti-sway bar settings to balance the handling.  Maybe this
won't be a problem if:

        you never have a chance to get out in the open and really push it.

or.......

        You like the security of understeer (some do).

I would go for four interchangeable wheels, if possible.

>There are very few roads where one can practice 4-wheel drifts, and there
>are also very few tracks around. :-(

Do you have anywhere (usually club-sponsored) one-car-at-a-time low speed
events in parking lots/airports/country roads/race tracks?  Here they can
be called slaloms, autocrosses, gymkhanas, time trials.  In the UK;
sprints.

These are extremely good (and usually inexpensive) opportunities to get
both driving and car set-up experience.

If not, curvy mountain roads?  Race tracks which rent track time or on
which clubs may have track events?

>I think that was the same type of tires the PO used for the road,but with
>almost no tread left when we bought the car. I can't
>see the reason, they give no grip until they are warm,and according to
>you they do not even get warm on the track :-/

The tires I used were apparently too hard and too large (205-60 on 6"
wide wheels) for the weight of the car.  The weight was distributed
over too large a total area.  Also, the surfaces I was racing on were
smooth and not too abrasive (Palm Springs Airport and Riverside
Raceway).  No one was surprised as much as I that they didn't wear,
given all the sideways motoring I was doing.  In that first race, I
finished a close third with first through third (Alfa GTA, Lotus S7)
finishing within a second of each other... with my hard tires, I could
close on them but could not sustain a pass.

Rod