RE: Wire Wheel Play

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE: Wire Wheel Play
From: gfd@akguc.att.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 13:55 EST
Clarification of Wire Wheel Play

Thanks for the help on my TR3 wheel play problem.  I guess that
I was a bit unclear as to where the play was, so here goes....

Without the knockoff, wheel in place, about 1 to 2 degrees,
all wheels.

Knockoff in place and tight (I tighten with a light mall or
heavy hammer and a block of wood to buffer the blow) there is
no play at all.  I attribute this to the wedging affects of the
cone on the spindle/drum and the tapered slot inside the knockoffs
(in fact if there were no splines the play would be zero, for a
while at least, just because the wheel is trapped in place).

Then, after driving a while, I hear a slight clunk when I apply
the brakes.  I put the car on jackstands, and sure enough.....
1 to 2 degrees of play again.  I repeat this exercise with the
same results.

John W. suggested that I check that the wheel was riding on
the cone and that the wheel lip was not bottomed in the
knockoff.  Both of these are OK and I am sure that the hubs
are on the correct side of the car.

One of the problems that I see with Knockoffs is that, unlike
torquing a nut or bolt, there are no guides to quantify a
"whack", maybe "Whack-Newtons".

Anyway thanks for the help, and I can't solve this I may
borrow a brand-new spline and test all the wheels.

George DeVeau