Re: Re: Wire Wheel Play

To: hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: Re: Wire Wheel Play
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 17:26:53 pst
> From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Play
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
>

> As for triangular splines indicating wear: I've used the `as tight as
> it goes' philosophy for ten years. My splines have been pretty triangular
> that whole time. I looked up spline shapes in Shigley's `Mechanical
> Engineering Design', and found a range of shapes from almost square to
> triangular with a small flat on top.

When I had my wire wheels rebuilt last year my car was up on jack-stands
for quite a while so I spent some time spline cleaning and got a really
close-up look at them.  My splines were definitely square-topped
triangles, thus:

           _
          / \
         /   \

My wheels were manufactured by Dunlop, whom I assume built most of the
wire wheels used on British cars during this period.  Admittedly
my wheels were heftier than most, but I assume the design of the spline
shape was common.

Roland