RE: treadwear rating

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>,
Subject: RE: treadwear rating
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 16:10:32 -0700
Katie said:
> There are your normal, every day, regular use tires, and "R" compound
> tires, thinly disguised as regular tires, but you'd have to be crazy
> to drive on them every day.

There are a few crazy people out there. If your autox car is an "extra" car
that you don't commute in or drive in the rain, then running R tires as your
"street" tires is a lot more fun. This works only if you pick Kuhmos or
BFGs. The Hoosiers don't last at all on the street. Also, R tires are a lot
cheaper than high performance street tires -- usually about 1/2 the price.
They provide so much more grip and control than any street tire, and it's so
much more convenient to not have to swap wheels, I used to wonder why more
people don't use them on the street.

I don't wonder any more because I realize that when you're crazy, it always
seems like everybody else is crazy.