RE: treadwear rating

To: <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: RE: treadwear rating
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:41:56 -0700
My experience is:

1. yes (make that YES). Not just cornering, but also acceleration & braking
are noticeably improved. So is "road feel". However, they do tend to follow
every irregularity in the pavement so one must steer carefully with rapt
attention, especially at high speeds.

2. yes -- after 5k miles of BFG R1s on the '95 RX-7, their "stick" on
typical asphalt surfaces dropped from around 1.2 G to around 1.0 G. Despite
this reduction in grip, near the end of their 7.5k service life they still
stuck better than any street tires I ever used.

On the Panoz I don't know yet 'cuz I'm using G-Force tires. Kumhos don't
come in the 18" sizes it needs :(  And they only have about 1 k miles on
them so there's no telling how long they'll last. But they do stick to the
tune of 1.2 - 1.3 G lateral acceleration -- enough to make Skyline drive &
Hwy 9 toward Santa Cruz an entirely different experience.