Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Steven J Miller <sjm@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:35:03 -0500
"Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com> wrote
>And figure on waiting a few months between placing your order with Helm,
Inc. and receiving the manuals as they wait >until they have enough orders
to justify a print run.

Took me two years to get the manual for my RX-7 from them.

But in addition to the issues of finding old manuals and dealing with
manufacturers who won't sell the manuals at all, there is the issue that
some of these manuals are prohibitively expensive. You can get a 1999
Imprezza for around $7,500 (Kelly Blue Book private party value), but the
manuals list for almost $1,100. You can find them for "only" about
$800-$900 at a discount, more than 10% of the value of the car.. Some of
you may just say that this is the price you have to pay. But what if the
price was $2,000? $5,000? $10,000? Some manufacturers make their manuals
unavailable by not selling them. Others do it by jacking up the price.

Steve Miller
1984 RX7 GSL-SE
including the service manual, electrical manual, parts catalog on fiche,
original sales brochure and original test report from C&D.