Re: autox insurance

To: "Carol Holt" <cmholt@acsol.net>,
Subject: Re: autox insurance
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:37:29 -0600
> 4.  I don't know of anyone willing to offer vehicle damage coverage to
> autoxers.  The reinsurers (secondary underwriters) hate any kind of
amateur
> racing as the potential for large claims is higher than normal and the
> participants are not professionals. (Normal drivers tend to have small
> claims - expensive to process but total dollars are small).  Racing
> accidents tend to be higher dollar.
>
> Since I have a working relationship with K&K, I'll be happy to ask about
> individual property coverage, but I suspect the cost would be enormous and
> we'd have to have lots of people signed up.  Let me know if you'd like me
> check.
>
> Carol Holt
> Council of Motorsports Clubs
> www.cmcrmr.com

I understand on-track coverage can be had, but at prohibitive costs.

However ... a greater concern for me, as I suspect it is for many, is
off-track coverage. What we do with, and to, the car while driving it in
anger is on us. We expect that, and to a great degree we believe we are in
control of that.

We are not in control of the vandal, the windstorm that drops a tree on your
trailered car, the highway drunk that wipes you out while towing, the house
fire that wipes out your garage (homeowner's covers the house, not any
cars),

For THAT, you can get insurance. But not from your hometown insurance agent.
Both Parish (Burns, Tenn. - 800-274-1804) and Naughton (Providence, R.I.)
provide that at reasonable rates. $250/year covers my car and trailer to
about $10k, maybe more. $250 is their minimum premium. In effect, the policy
lapses any time the car is on the "hot" side of the pit wall, resumes as
soon as it goes to the "cold" side. Yes, it is even covered in the paddock.
So if I got pranged by another car while sitting in grid, I'm covered. From
pace lap to checker, I'm not, but if I am pranged again in impound, I am. I
might have to prove that, but that is what safety stewards are for among
other things (they do the incident reports).

I have Parish now. I had Naughton before and was very happy with them, but
Parish gave a better rate for my needs.

--Rocky Entriken