RE: autox insurance

To: "'David Cramer'" <dcramer@translationtech.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: autox insurance
From: "Carol Holt" <cmholt@acsol.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:29:40 -0700
A belated Merry Christmas to you all.

A couple of notes on this thread (I'm reading thru my 700 e-mails).

1.Individual states regulate insurance policies, so what State Farm (or
anyone else) does in Colorado may not be what they do in Kansas.  You must
thoroughly read and understand your policy.

2.  The Council of Motorsports helps provide event liability insurance
through K&K for small autox clubs.  I have recently discussed insurance with
K&K at length.  Specifically, we discussed participant MEDICAL insurance -
which would be possible with enough people signed up (probably at least
500).  The problem would be that the premiums would be relatively high for
the coverage offered.  Since they haven't worked out any numbers, I really
couldn't say what, but figure medical coverage in the range of $100,000 -
$250,000/incident.  If you would be interested in such a program, let me
know - I'd like to see it happen but, as I mentioned, there would have to be
substantial interest from the autox community.

3.  Liability coverage if you hit something and damage property (poles,
buildings, etc) is normally covered by the event organizers' liability
coverage.  It DOES NOT cover damage you do to another's vehicle or damage to
your own.

4.  I don't know of anyone willing to offer vehicle damage coverage to
autoxers.  The reinsurers (secondary underwriters) hate any kind of amateur
racing as the potential for large claims is higher than normal and the
participants are not professionals. (Normal drivers tend to have small
claims - expensive to process but total dollars are small).  Racing
accidents tend to be higher dollar.

Since I have a working relationship with K&K, I'll be happy to ask about
individual property coverage, but I suspect the cost would be enormous and
we'd have to have lots of people signed up.  Let me know if you'd like me to
check.

Carol Holt
Council of Motorsports Clubs
www.cmcrmr.com