Re: "P" rules

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: "P" rules
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:48:48 -0600
Comment interspersed below

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 4:30 PM

> Howdy,
>
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Rocky Entriken wrote:
> > Indeed the book does say "up to" but IMHO it is the same thing. The
> > language is "Vehicles prepared in excess of Solo II allowances but
> > prepared up to the current GTCS..." or in the next section,
> > "...prepared up to and listed in the current PCS...".
>
> I don't think I agree with your interpretation.  "Prepared up to" means
> (to me) "you can prepare you car to the extent of the GCR rules, but
> aren't required to meet full GCR specs".  If they wanted the cars to be
> GCR legal (with the exceptions you mention) then they'd say "Prepared to"
> or make it even more clear and say "must meet all GCR requirements with
> the exception of items mentioned in section xx.xx.

I disagree, but happily I don't have to be the test dummy. I think, being a
GCR car, I must be completely GCR-legal to do solo in Prepared unless the
Prepared rules provide me an exception.  To be GCR-legal, for example, I
must have a fuel cell, a rollcage and an on-board fire system (among other
things). The Solo book lets me delete the cage and the on-board. It does not
let me delete the cell.

Also, since I am GCR I believe I have to meet GCR weight, which for my car
is 1680 with driver, as opposed to the Solo rulebook weight, which is 1405
without driver. Trust me, I may be overweight but I'm not 275 pounds! Much
of that increase is due to newer cage rules (I have to have an 8-point cage
now). However, this is also one I believe I could sneak past tech really
easily if I wanted to.

> MHO.
>
> Mark
>
> > I also think "prepared up to" is construed as "prepared according to
these
> > (GCR) rules" and "up to" only means the limits in those rules apply.
Remove
> > "up" and the rule reads more clearly. IMHO it does NOT mean you can have
> > car that is essentially prepped to the Solo II rules but you say "I can
go
> > beyond this one limitation because GTCS/PCS allows me to go to a greater
> > limit." If that were the case, there would be no reason to even have a
> > limitation in the Solo II book.
>
> Sure there is.  There's a weight penalty for cars prepared exceeding solo
> rules but prepared up to GTCS (or whatever) rules.  The limit of GTCS
> rules is so that you have some limit.  Otherwise I could build a mod car
> and run prepared as long as I took the weight penalty.

The weight penalty is only for items for which, if prepared stricltly to the
Solo rules, would still incur the penalty. An example is given in 15.11.B --
fuel injection modifications. If you have fuel injection and you modify it,
you must take the penalty even if it is basically legal in GCR. Prepare to
the Solo II rules and modify the injection, you still take the penalty.
OTOH, if you have injection in your GCR car and do NOT modify it, you do NOT
take the penalty. It's a modification penalty, not a GCR penalty.

> > The whole purpose for 15.11 is to prevent legal GCR-prep cars from being
> > illegal in Prepared without making non-GCR or un-GCR modifications. Solo
> > wants a GCR-legal race-prepared car to be able to just come and do
> > autocross, as is. Its purpose is not to create preparation loopholes.
>
> That may be the intent, but if so the rules state it pretty poorly.
> There's smart guys on the PAC, I think if they wanted only what you
> describe the rules would clearly say that.

I agree the rules state it poorly. However, it wasn't the PAC that wrote the
rule. The rule existed pre-PAC.

> Mark

--Rocky