Re: Peru Pro (a bit long-ly overdue)

Subject: Re: Peru Pro (a bit long-ly overdue)
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 03:27:34 -0700
Okay, Mr. Wannabe Medium Dog....  (wMd???)
Uhmmm, tell me how you really feel.

Let's give a recount of Peru:
Close call...close call...close call...close call...The Neon T-bone
Affair...
"...and the incredibly scary CSP Honda flying toward the SS RX7..."

But it would be terrible to disrupt the event.   After all it was deemed
safe at the onset!
And it was a "Pro" event...  With 9 year olds and a huge number of
firsttimers competing.

You bring up drag racing as an example.  Our team has two NHRA World
Championships, eight Division Championships, and twenty National records
over the past 25 years.  We've also run Trans Am cars, Showroom Stock cars,
Formula Fords and tested in Indy cars.   One of our drivers has a leg
reconstructed with titanium screws and rods.  I've had a $100,000 Pro
Stocker sit in my driveway so mangled it was hard to tell that it was once
an automobile.  I've had several drag cars decide to share my lane.  I've
had friends in halos.  And I've had good friends killed.   I know something
about motorsports and motorsports safety.  The reports I'm getting out of
Peru and the attitude I'm hearing is simply not acceptable in any form of
racing.

Drag racing is my business and my sport.  I can't speak for the local drag
strip, but at the National event level, I've never experienced or heard of
safety being compromised in the interest of expediency.   I've towed my rig
50 hours to an event and had the event rescheduled because the track was
unsafe.  I autocross for fun.  It is something I can bring my family and
friends out to.  I'm not going to be loaning out my 700 hp Super Stocker
anytime soon, but I might loan out our MCoupe or SM car to a friend to
autox.   I understand the risk on the drag strip.  I don't understand a
course where cars are consistently losing control in the direction of other
cars.

But you don't have to worry about this weenie, I definitely won't be headed
out to any ProSolo events.  Not if they are aiming cars at each other.
I'll stick to safe stuff like bumper scrapping wheelstands and 130 mph
panic stops.

-Steve Ekstrand