Re: Driving While Stupid

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driving While Stupid
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 01:55:17 -0500
Multi-tasking is not part of the PRIVILEGE of operating a car.

As far as the pilot comparison goes, just ask pilots who DO fly in close
formation. The last Thunderbirds crash should indicate the direction
multi-tasking went.

The number 1 pilot watches where they go, the rest watch number 1. They
watch number 1 because they couldn't do what they do otherwise. Now, if they
could watch number 1 AND where they were going, only number 1 would've
crashed. But they can't.

Ask an airline pilot if he/she reads a book or newspaper while they're
landing and see what kind of look you get.

If one does not pay attention to where they're going, they WILL hit
something. It's not IF, it's WHEN. And I hope it's not ME.

Particularly the obvious ones... Like the TV, book, newspaper, makeup, etc.
It's the EYES. They're not on what they should be. If they're not looking at
the road, they don't know what's on the road, and will hit what's on the
road. These are the ones that say the semi-trailer full of chickens right in
front of them just "came out of nowhere". Uh-huh.....sure.

The cereal example is a coordination feat. It is possible to do it, but
success isn't likey. At least they're LOOKING at the road. They might not
have complete control of the vehicle, but they know when they're going to
hit something just before they do. Unless, of course, they're looking at the
cereal at the time, in which case see the above.

The phones are the most insideous since they take your MIND from the road.
And even then it depends on what the conversation is. Let's face it, a
simple reminder from the wife on what to pick up on the way home might not
take your attention away, but your wife telling you that she just put $9,000
on your credit card for 'clothes and decorating items' so you can't fix the
race car will take your COMPLETE attention away. (please, no flames for the
stereotypes, it's just a hypothetical example)

I watched (and listened to) a man have a complete fist-waving argument with
his wife over his cell phone in traffic. A bit later, traffic opened up and
about a quarter-mile up the road, I saw him plow into the back of a
semi-truck trailer with his left fist sticking out of the window. The
outrageous part was, by the time I got to where he was, he was still in the
car, arguing with her......... Must've left his attention at work.....

Not meant as a direct comparison, but the attention deprevation caused by a
phone in it's WORST case is akin to the intoxicated driver who gets home
without a scratch on the car, but can't tell you how he got there.
Obviously, he saw the road, successfully navigated it without hitting
anything, and was at least coordinated enough to be able to point the car in
the correct directions, but couldn't tell you HOW or remember the town
parade in the opposing lane during his trip home.  I think I'd remember
that, but, then again, I pay attention.

I wish Darwinism could take effect here, but that has the side effect of
taking a few of the 'fittest' out with them. So what's the answer?

Mike