Re: Require SCCA membership?

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>, Gemery@aol.com
Subject: Re: Require SCCA membership?
From: "Crooke John" <crooke_john@bah.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 15:49:07 -0500
Randy,

The Washington DC Region SCCA is a member of the Metropolitan Washington
Council of
Sports Car Clubs (MWCSCC). All of the local area MWCSCC autocrosses around DC
are
limited to four heats of 30-35 cars. Period. If we let everyone who showed up
run,
we'd have 180 drivers, too. So we have a pre-registration website that everyone
can
access exactly three weeks before the event. We also pre-register by phone, but
more and more people are doing it online. It's a very slick process. Next year
the
Council is going to implement a plan to allow a limited number season regulars
reserve a number for the season for something like $20.

I agree with Randy. Discounts for SCCA membership are there to encourage
membership, not to reduce the size of events. I see little difference between
that
and charging more and more for events until you only have 120 interested rich
folks
left. To the person/novice who does two or three events a year, it's like
charging
$35-$40 per event!

The only other advice I would give is to try to have more events, and I
understand
that's not always easy or practical. Plus, here in DC, our schedule jumped from
12
events to 16 events, with little decline in event attendance, so YMMV.

John

--
John Crooke
Crooke_John@bah.com