Re: Which Tire? Let's Share Experiences

To: Dave Young <Young1Racing@home.com>
Subject: Re: Which Tire? Let's Share Experiences
From: Perry Kincy <kincy@ccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:06:13 -0800
I agree with much of what Dave says.  I have run BFG R1s, Hoosiers, and Kumhos
for about
1.5 years each on Camaros or Corvettes (heavy and powerful)

I thought the BFG R1s were incredibly precise, the Hoosiers incredibly light
(GREAT
braking w/low unsprung wt) and very sticky in first 2/32nds of tread, while
being quite
forgiving.   The alleged short Hoosier life may be better in the 97-98
iterations, but I
haven't tried them.

My favorite is the Kumho.  I need the wide "sweet spot" of this tire as I am
still
learning and find it very very forgiving and very easy to drive very quickly
because of
the feedback from the tire near the limit.  I have found the wear to be as good
as my
early experience with the R1, but I expect I am working the tires much harder
now, so
putting much more pressure on the longevity of the Kumho.

If we could just solve the availablility of the Kumho, life would be perfect!
Unfortunately everyone wants them and that brings supply problems.

Perry Kincy

--
Perry Kincy (kincy@kincy.com)

93 Camaro A4; TPIS heads; ZZ9 Cam; AS&M headers, 12.79@110.209