Which Tire? Let's Share Experiences

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which Tire? Let's Share Experiences
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:15:59 -0700
While researching what tires to get for my 92 240SX, I looked at BFG, Toyo,
Kumho, Yoko and Hoosiers.

SIDE NOTE - At this time is seems to be more a case of WHAT you can get rather
than what you would PREFER to get  :-(    Discount Direct has *NO* "R" tires
at all - none. Tire Rack has Yoko, some BFG's, and Kumhos after sometime next
week. I've spent almost two weeks trying to get tires from an independant
supplier - they've been "in the mail" that long.

Anyway, in doing this research it became apparent that few people recommend
the Hoosiers for my purpose - D Stock, non-adjustable camber, heavier car (5
more horsepower than the Neons, 400 more pounds - great trade-off!).

But then there were a few who swore that the Hoosiers were indeed 'the
ticket'. Why the wide varience? Generally the advice was don't use Hoosiers
for the heavier cars, they wear fast, and 'go off' before all the tread/rubber
is used up.

Any first-hand experience out there (from others that those trying to sell
their stock of Hoosiers)? Let's all assume that Scotty will write about the
virtues of the Kumhos, so that's a given   :-)

IN SUMMARY (what I've been told or think I've found out) -

BFG's are pricey, are wearing quickly, and seem to be having some trouble
heating up for autocross. YOKO's are a good average tire but will not place in
the top three. KUMHOs are highly recommended by many, not out yet, and price
is still reasonable. TOYOS are medium priced, hard to find, outdated but seem
to work very well. HOOSIERS are either great or not depending on who you talk
to.

Other views at this early time in the 99 season?

Thx,

Scott Meyers
(Still waiting on those tires from LT........11 days and counting)