Re: Red Line Options

To: bfabie@earthlink.net, janah@att.net, TR6UO@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Red Line Options
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:32:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/2006 10:55:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bfabie@earthlink.net writes:

I  purchased five Dunlop 205 70 15 from Diamondback. Delivered, they  were
about $150 each. They are excellent quality and I like them. Their  website
is: http://dbtires.com/ They are in Conway,  SC.

Diamondback doesn't do the Dunlops now - only Firestones (i don't think  that
Dunlop tire is made anymore, but i could be wrong about that)
The Firestone Supreme aka Diamond Back Supreme available in 205/70/15 is a
decent modern tire but not a performance tire by any stretch -  another local
club member has these - the Firestone Indy 500 aka  Diamondback 500 is a good
looking performance tire and is the highest  performance tire Diamond back
lists - note that in all sizes the 500's tread  width is about an inch wider
than
the tread width on the same size Supreme - but  the 500 is still just an all
season tire - not a high performance summer tire. I  ordered the Diamondback
500 in a 215/70/15 and they're laying out in the garage  right now waiting for
me to finish cleaning and powder coating the Mg 15x6  4-spoke American Racing
wheels that they'll go on - i don't think I'd try to put  them on stock size
5.5 in wheels - unfortunately the 500 tire is not available  in 205/70/15
I've seen Diamond backs on other TR6s and its been my observation that  their
redlines stay bright red much longer than the Michelins

Speaking of the Michelin redlines only available from Coker (and not to be
confused with Coker's own really horrible redlines) the biggest problem with
these tires is that they are not round (not molded very well in Mexico i
guess)- a couple of us here in NC have bought these and had Allen Hendrix (see
_www.hendrixwirewheel.com_ (http://www.hendrixwirewheel.com)  ) shave  them to
true round - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! - while still not a performance tire by  any
stretch of the imagination, the difference in ride and handling when  properly
balanced and trued to round is amazing.

Cheers
Jack Mc