Re: Red Line Options

To: TR6UO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Red Line Options
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 06:32:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 May 2006 TR6UO@aol.com wrote:

> Jack,
> I stand corrected. My only references were my Michelin redlines from Coker
> (new in 2003-coded on the tire) and a statement from Michelin that Coker
>owned
> the molds. I wasn't aware until today that Coker also offered another
> redline.  Is that the one you said was inferior?

Coker is the cheaper alternative. We leave the determination of
inferiority to the reader.

> I'm no great fan of Michelin, but I do like originality and the way they
> look on my '72. I'd love to find a current tech tire with the same redline.

... then your only option is to get a modern tire and get it red lined.

> BTW,  my never-mounted original spare is a 1972 Goodyear redline.  Anyone
> have any insights on this?

Fugetaboutit. These have been unavailable for 30 years.

The Goodyear G800's were pretty "soft" and we had to replace them every
12k miles or so "back in the day". My Dad got miffed at this and installed
Pirelli "Cinturatos" which were rock hard (like the Michelin X) and they
looked brand-new after 40k miles. The only problem was the internal belts
rusted out and the tires went out of round.

Oh - and they squealed when the car was turning at any speed. Really. All
the local cops used to yell at me as I drove by at 5 mph "Hey, slow
down!". Ummmm - okay. :-)

> Regards,
>
> Steve

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx