Re: How can a "spirited driving challenge" be lost in third

To: Gameparker@cs.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How can a "spirited driving challenge" be lost in third
From: BigOldWumper@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:56:20 EDT
Front wheel drive cars, like the Honda, don't have enough traction until
higher speeds,  which is why the Civic caught up in third gear, where it was
probably going between 55 and 85 mph in that gear, and having a horsepower
advantage--unless your motor is really suped up. A rolling start like you
described
will even off the differences between a front and rear wheel drive car. The
differences in aeordynamic drag would be minimal, if any differences at all
exist.
Both cars would need around 50 horsepower to overcome drag (including rolling
resistance) at 85 mph. The SI probably has a drag coefficient of around .3,
the TR6 around .44 from what I understand, but the Honda has more frontal area
(wider and taller) as well as more weight.

Be careful not to get any tickets...

-Sean