Re: How can a "spirited driving challenge" be lost in third

To: Gameparker@cs.com
Subject: Re: How can a "spirited driving challenge" be lost in third
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:50:38 -0700 (PDT)
Geoff---The SI is one of the lighter Hondas, and about equal in weight
to the TR6. No advantage here. (One son had won the West Coast Regional
Solo 1 in his '87 street prepared SI a few years back, so I know they
can really scoot!)

These cars are not known for their hp, but take advantage of what they
have thru a nicely spaced 5 speed tranny. The first three are much lower
than the TR's. Also, I've always thought the ratio between second and
third was too large in the TR.

Coefficient of drag is known to be better in the SI, as just about
anything short of a barn door slips air easier than the TR's Cd of .39
(top up). We know this hurts as speed increases.

However, you should have enough of a horsepower advantage to have held
him off longer than the end of second gear. The cam you have should be
good for a 5500 shift point (as would the S2, Brooks)
and this would help get you into a more favorable rpm when you hit
third.

Others may say you could use more "carburetion", either air, fuel or
both. What does you 02 sensor indicate at the upper limits? For best
power you should be seeing an A/F ratio of 12:1.

Who was it that said "too much power is never enough"?
There will always be a car out there to beat you.

Dick