Re: Valve replacement for a newbie?

To: John <jhardt@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Valve replacement for a newbie?
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 07:25:30 -0500
John,

The studs in the block that come up through the head can become "frozen" to
the head as the gap between the stud and the head fills up with various
things, mostly rust.  It is particularly true that the studs that are not
under the valve cover will suffer this fate.

This is what I've just done on my car to get the head off:
Spend some time getting a good penetrating oil to flow down the stud, even
using a hammer to tap a nut that is threaded onto it to help break this
crud up.  This took a day or two to actually penetrate.
Then use the "rope trick" to get the head to begin to lift up.  Put 1/4"
rope into #1 and #6 and turned the engine.  I used the starter but you can
use the crank bolt as well.
I then used wooden wedges between the head and the block to raise the head
the rest of the way.

On another engine long ago I had to take a number of the studs out to get
the head off but I didn't know about using the rope at that time
Good luck!

Rob
74 TR6 still waiting to be re-capitated