RE: Early Cars

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Early Cars
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:01:58 -0500
My understanding (and it's been a while since I read up on this) is that
the very first cars had many parts from the TR250 production, including the
rear wing beads.  My car (CC25317) was built in April 1968 as the "new"
introduction model that would be unveiled at the dealership (in my car's
case, Dallas, TX) prior to the arrival of the regular cars.  As such, the
earliest cars have more 250 in them than the regular, later, model year
run.  I can't remember the details, but the rear wing beads were only used
on a few hundred cars.

My car, as bought in 91, had the chrome rocker cover, silver painted air
filter box and body-colored windshield surround.  The rocker cover and
body-colored windshield surround are original to the car (according to
research from prior owners..I'm the 4th owner), but I can't vouch for the
air filter box.

Since motor vehicle registration procedures were a little more lax and/or
dealers wanted to sell late 1969 cars, later 1969 cars would be "updated"
by the dealers with 1970 wheels and black-painted windshield surround to
move them on out the door...I've heard that from old Triumph dealers and
shop mechanics, as well as the tidbit that dealers would swap interiors in
the shop if someone wanted, say, a red car with a tan interior and the
dealer only had a red car with a black interior (but also had another color
car with a tan interior)....presto...dealer has found the right car.