Re: more early TR6 stuff

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more early TR6 stuff
From: CP25616@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:22:45 EST
rrt@connectexpress.com writes:

> On sort of the same note, I have a car spotter pocket guide circa 1970 that
> has a picture of a 1970 TR6 (UK version) with really interesting wheels.
> The wheels are open wheels with the black centers and chrome lug nuts yet
> they have the flat areas and the missing holes where the hub cap mounting
> nipples were located on the 1969 style wheels.  Has anyone actually seen
> wheels like these?
>
> Rex Townsend

Rex
The car in the photo you mention above is probobly registered PVC 914G and
was a factory owned 1969 model in white, used by them to assess how the 1970
model modifications would look. These wheels are just the standard 1969
wheels with the Rostyle trims holding studs removed. These '69 wheels were
never welded all the way round between the actual centre disc and the rim
itself as they had three distinct gaps that were left open.
Later factory pictures taken of this car shows the standard 1970 model rims
fitted.
Its actually quite a common conversion now as the Rostyle wheel trims have
been very scarce now for ages.
IMHO the 1969 TR6's all had body colour painted windscreen surrounds, this
changed when the 1970 model came in to black colour.
Hope this helps you Rex.
Regards
Alan Graham
Scotland       1969 TR6  CP25616  0